Fairylanders' Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Naming of Plants

+2
Liz
Nightrose
6 posters

Go down

The Naming of Plants Empty The Naming of Plants

Post  Nightrose Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 am

I've been enjoying the names of Fairyland plants for some time. The herbs all have English names, but most of the flowers have a Latin name (apart from eg the Iceflower, Poppy, Loveflower, to name but three).

The names all have a meaning. For instance, Cumulus (cloud) albiflorus (white flower). Carmina (song) Uniflora (single flower), or Aviflora (bird flower). I had to ponder Bellis Lycaena for some time, Bellis is the botanical name for a daisy, and Lychaenae is 'gossamer wings', a kind of butterfly. Fructus Randomus is clearly 'random fruit', which amuses my husband greatly. One can go on about all this, but with a little knowledge of Latin (or a good dictionary) one can predict the fruit of the plant from its name, hence, Rosa Amora turns into a heart, apis melliflora - apis, bee.....

I wonder how Mike chooses the names? Is he a keen botanist, or does he have a friend to help? And why don't the herbs have a Latin name as well as an English one?
Nightrose
Nightrose

Back to top Go down

The Naming of Plants Empty Re: The Naming of Plants

Post  Liz Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:34 am

Nightrose wrote:I've been enjoying the names of Fairyland plants for some time. The herbs all have English names, but most of the flowers have a Latin name (apart from eg the Iceflower, Poppy, Loveflower, to name but three).

The names all have a meaning. For instance, Cumulus (cloud) albiflorus (white flower). Carmina (song) Uniflora (single flower), or Aviflora (bird flower). I had to ponder Bellis Lycaena for some time, Bellis is the botanical name for a daisy, and Lychaenae is 'gossamer wings', a kind of butterfly. Fructus Randomus is clearly 'random fruit', which amuses my husband greatly. One can go on about all this, but with a little knowledge of Latin (or a good dictionary) one can predict the fruit of the plant from its name, hence, Rosa Amora turns into a heart, apis melliflora - apis, bee.....

I wonder how Mike chooses the names? Is he a keen botanist, or does he have a friend to help? And why don't the herbs have a Latin name as well as an English one?

That's brilliant - I could tell some of them but I didn't bother to look closely at the ones that weren't too familiar, like the Bellis Lycaena. Wow, I'm very impressed with this. You should send your translations to Marmaduke and ask him to attach that info to the plants in his Almanacs - I think he'd love it! Totally awesome!! study
Liz
Liz

http://apps.new.facebook.com/fbfairy/fairygarden.php?id=1734938

Back to top Go down

Post  Amarantha Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Im also amazed, great research!
Like you, I wondered as well how Mike chooses those names, but I try to guess every time what they might mean (not always successfully).
Amarantha
Amarantha

Back to top Go down

Post  Naughty Gingerbread Ninja Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am

Wow! I've always wondered about the names. I think they're really creative!
Naughty Gingerbread Ninja
Naughty Gingerbread Ninja

https://apps.facebook.com/fbfairy/fairygarden.php?id=1809314

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayley Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:54 am

thanks for that i did wonder xx
Hayley
Hayley

Location : ♥*~*♥Tinkerbells Paradise♥*~*♥ UK/Turkey ~ Surrey England

http://www.turkeyfans.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Piscis Aquabullae -> Fish Waterbubbles. Very Happy The seed indeed looks like a bubble...
Anne
Anne

http://nurjapuola.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down